Tips for Driving Aboard for Dalton, GA Residents

When you’re traveling abroad from Dalton, GA, just knowing how to drive is not enough. You need to consider the type of license you need to drive. You’ll also need insurance because you don’t need to have a collision that’s not covered in foreign country, especially in one where the natives don’t speak your language. 

Before going to a foreign country, you may want to learn to drive a stick. A majority of rentals are manuals, and if you don’t know how to drive one, you might have to pay more for an automatic. 

You might be driving on the opposite side of the road in the opposite side of the car, so be prepared. It’s worth the extra money to rent a GPS or bring your own with international maps on it. Don’t rely on the GPS on your smartphone. You’ll have to deal with the international roaming fees associated with using it in another country. 

Driver’s License Issues

Not every country will acknowledge your US-issued driver’s license. In some countries, there is an additional license needed. Go to AAA or the National Auto Club to obtain an International Driving Permit, also known as an IDP. It will cost a small fee. Look into the driving age in the country you’re going to and the minimum age for renting a car. 

Look into the insurance you need to travel aboard. Every country–and even different states in the U.S.–have different laws regarding insurance. If you’re renting a car abroad, you’ll have to do so using your credit card company, so contact the company prior, so you know their regulations. If you’re going to other countries or even another continent. Make sure coverage covers going across different borders. 

Contact AWARD Insurance Group at 706-226-1436 to learn more about specific insurance laws when traveling aboard. And don’t forget to buckle up!